Evaluation Criteria for Web Development
At topseos, the independent authority on search vendors, we have done the research into the best web development practices. Since launching in 2002, our research and rankings only show companies that have proven they are the best. No company should have to go through redevelopment, and topseos can help make sure you will find a company that can meet the needs of your site. Companies on our list have excelled in process, standard compliance, scalability, size and security, and maintenance.
The first component analyzed by us is the web development process of the vendor. How does the vendor organize work that needs to be completed? Does the vendor properly identify the needed variables for each piece of the project to ensure there are not compatibility issues?
Next we evaluate whether the code meets standards compliance. What type of coding standards does the development team use and how well does the code match up to those standards?
Another important aspect of web development is the scalability of the site. Does the development work completed allow for the continued growth and adjustment of the site? If additional development is needed is the code being commented properly for another development team to work on?
We also assess how secure the scripting is. Does the code have any vulnerability that could allow hackers to use the site maliciously? Are sales or leads records secured?
Lastly we rate the ease of maintenance on the site. If there are corrections or changes that need to be made to database information, is there an administrative interface that allows those changes to be made or would added development work need to be completed?
A few questions we may ask clients of these firms are:
- What type of needs analysis was conducted before work initiated?
- What type of a ROI were you anticipating, what was achieved and in what time frame?
- What would be 3 things you would change about your experience?
- What was your total investment?
- Rate your overall experience (1-10; 10 being the highest).
Project Specific Queries:
- What content management system, MVC frameworks, standards were considered prior to coding?
- How often were you advised of the progress of development and how were you able to review the work and offer your input?
- How much time in % was spent on quality assurance in the project lifecycle? How much of your personal involvement was required in this process?
- What SEO components were recognized and chosen for consideration in development?
- How well were the developers versed on the latest development techniques? Can you give an example that would evidence that based on your rating?