Evaluation Criteria for Social Media Marketing
topseos.com, the independent authority on search vendors, evaluates and ranks the best social media optimization companies in the internet marketing industry. Companies that are listed on topseos have gone through a rigorous evaluation process to determine the quality of work that is done. This often times also includes contacting several references of the company. At the end of this process, the top companies are ranked.
topseos identified five key areas that are important to social media optimization: trend awareness, brand management, consultation, methodology, and reach.
The first aspect that is used to evaluate companies is trend awareness. How well does the company understand current online social trends? What sites are consumers using more? Are there any new trends on the way that the company has noticed, that others do not yet recognize, creating a competitive advantage for their clients?
The next aspect that vendors are evaluated by is brand management. How well do they do at maintaining a consistent message between the main site of their clients and the social media profiles? How is the vendor using social media to build the brand of their clients?
Consultation is the third vital part of social media optimization that is recognized by topseos. How regularly does the vendor meet with the client to provide them with a status update? Do they provide suggestions on how to use the social networks to convert to business?
We then analyze the methodology of the vendors. This specifically evaluates the process by which the vendors work within the social networks. How does the company work to build a following? Do they use tactics that could end up getting their clients banned?
The ability of a vendor to provide their clients with the maximum possible effective reach is the final aspect evaluated by us. We assess the vendor’s knowledge of the different audiences on the social networks, and determine their effectiveness at matching their client to the most appropriate audiences.
A few questions we may ask clients of these firms are:
- What type of needs analysis was conducted before work initiated?
- What type of a ROI were you anticipating, what was achieved and in what time frame?
- What would be 3 things you would change about your experience?
- What was your total investment?
- Rate your overall experience (1-10; 10 being the highest).
Project Specific Queries:
- What analysis went into your website before the decision to implement social media optimization techniques to your website was determined?
- How were your SMO tactics chosen?
- What types of social media optimization techniques has your agency implemented on your project?
- What was the process of implementation of those techniques? Did you implement them all and launch all at the same time or was it implement a technique, roll it out, and then evaluate it, then go on to the next one?
- What has been the impact to your conversion rates from the implementation of SMO techniques?